Saturday, April 14, 2007
the first English-teaching lesson
Today, we had our first English teaching lesson for the elderly at the moral neighbourhood link. We started our lesson by introducing ourselves. After that, as we planned, Junjun and Shizhi shared a joke with the elderly. Then the atmosphere becomes relaxed. Thereafter, we introduced some of the difficult words and phrases to the elderly, but I found that for them it is very hard for them to both understand and pronounce these words. In the dialogue session, this phenomenon became more obvious. So I feel that the lesson is too difficult and too much for them. Also, they seemed to not willing to practice unless we gave specific instructions. After all, I think we overestimated their level of English. However, it is a good thing that the elderly still have passion in learning English since they recorded our reading for them to practice after the lesson. The session seems to be too short, therefore, we decided to start the session earlier next time and include fewer things in one lesson. I think that the lesson should be more light-hearted, as the elderly do not want a bombard of information. Therefore, we should let them read and practice slowly so that they can feel success. This will increase their confidence and the effect of learning will be larger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment